1. You want to pick the right turkey for you and your family. Whether you prefer organic, fresh, big, small, or frozen, there is a turkey option available for everyone. One thing to keep in mind is that fresh is not necessarily always better than frozen. Frozen turkeys are snap-frozen just after they are butchered which means you get a fresh bird.
2. If you aren't sure about which size to get, the best way to guess is to average about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. per person. Add a few pounds on for bones and you should have the perfect turkey size for your family. For example, 8 people should do great with a 12-14 lb. turkey.
3. DON'T stuff the turkey. Despite having grown up with a turkey stuffed full, it is recommended that you cook the stuffing in a separate pan. Cooking the stuffing in the turkey can actually promote the growth of harmful bacteria. Plus, it will take longer for the turkey to cook which can result in drier white meat. Instead of stuffing, fill your turkey with flavorful spices or onions.
4. Rub the turkey with butter or oil. Before putting it in the oven, make sure you rub your DRY turkey with butter, canola oil or olive oil. We also recommend putting chunks of butter under the skin to make the meat as moist as possible.
5. Let your bird soak. After you've cooked it, tent your turkey in foil and let it rest for at least 15-20 minutes outside of the oven. By letting your turkey cool, the juices will keep your meat moist and flavorful. If you carve into the turkey as soon as it is done you lose a lot of those juices and flavor.
Hopefully these Thanksgiving turkey tips will help you as you cook your bird this holiday. If you aren't cooking and are instead traveling to visit family, we recommend getting behind the wheel of a reliable and comfortable vehicle! If your current vehicle is neither of those two things stop by our dealership today and we'll get you into something you can trust. We have everything from Low Mileage Used Cars to Ford Cars For Sale to Certified Preowned Cars For Sale - so come see us today!
Brighton Ford is located at 8240 Grand River Ave. just north of I-96 in Brighton. We are a family owned and operated business that strives for customer satisfaction. For more information on Brighton Ford visit BrightonFord.com or give us a call at (800) 836-8206.
Follow us on: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+