BRIGHTON, Mich., Feb. 1, 2012 – Most people today are constantly looking for ways to save money. By driving “green” you will not only be helping out the environment but you will save money as well and the planet and your wallet will thank you. Here are ten things you can do to drive green and save green:
1. Get you air conditioning system serviced properly – A/C systems contain chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) gasses that harm the ozone layer. Our service technicians at Brighton Ford Service Center can capture the CFC gases during service instead of allowing the gases to escape randomly on the road.
2. Slow down – mileage decreases exponentially as speeds increase. The marginal time added by slowing down on the highway can add 2-4 MPG over an extended trip.
3. Keep tires properly inflated – When your tires are underinflated the engine has to work harder to move the vehicle, as well as wheels that are out of alignment. Properly maintained tires not only help you improve fuel economy, but they last longer saving you money on tire replacement and less tires have to be discarded which is beneficial for the planet. For a great “how to” article on tire inflation and maintenance check out Edmunds.com
|You can't "tune-a"fish, but you can tune an engine!|
4. Keep the engine in tune – minor details such as a misfiring sparkplug can reduce fuel efficiency by as much as 30%! Be sure to follow the service schedule listed in your owners manual
5. Plan your daily trips – routing logistics isn’t just a practice for big business. Consolidate your daily errands to eliminate unnecessary driving. Plan trips for lighter traffic times to avoid stop-and-go conditions and you can reduce the amount of gas wasted idling and help reduce the emissions your car produces.
6. Avoid Idling – when you’re waiting to pick the kids up from school or stopped at railroad crossing, turn the engine off, even if it’s just for a couple minutes. The minutes add up which equals wasted fuel and increased pollution.
7. Less junk in the trunk – lighter loads means better mileage, simple as that.
|"Whatchya gonna do with all that junk, all that junk inside that trunk?"|
9. Take it easy on the accelerator – “stomping” on the gas pedal to get up to the speed limit quickly greatly reduces fuel economy. Use cruise control on open roads when possible. Avoid slamming on the breaks, coast to a stop when possible, this will help you save fuel as well as reduce wear on your breaks.
10. Buy the right type of gas – fill your vehicle up with the type of gas prescribed by your owner’s manual. Using premium grade fuel doesn’t improve fuel economy if the vehicle is designed to run on regular and will only end up costing you more at the pump.
Brighton ford is located at 8240 Grand River Ave. just north of I-96 in Brighton. We are a family owned and operated business that strives on customer satisfaction. For more information on Brighton Ford, visit www.BrightonFord.com.
Follow us at facebook.com/brightonford, twitter.com/brightonfordmi and on Google+
Post a Comment