Tuesday, July 16, 2013
7 Tips to Stay Safe in the Heat
1. Do NOT leave children or pets in the car. Even with the windows down, the temperature in your car can hit triple digits in a matter of minutes. Children and animals are more susceptible to heat stress and can suffer heat stroke when the temperatures are high. So even if you are only going inside for a minute, take your child with you and leave your pets at home.
2. Use your air conditioning! Air-conditioning is the number one protective factor against heat-related illness and death. If you refrain from using it because you are concerned about your fuel efficiency, rest assured that it actually does not affect your gas mileage that much. In some studies, it's only been proven to reduce a vehicle's fuel economy by less than 1 mile per gallon. So use your air and stay cool! If your air conditioning doesn't work, don't hesitate to stop in at Brighton Ford today and have one of our specialists take a look.
3. Drink lots of water. This may seem like an obvious tip, but many people aren't aware of how quickly you can become dehydrated in the summer. It is recommended that you drink 2-4 glasses of water an hour during extreme heat. This is especially true for children!
4. Park in the shade, if possible. Nothing is worse than opening your car door and feeling the oven-like heat radiating out at you. Parking in the shade will help with this. If you can't park in the shade, try starting your car and letting it sit before you get inside. This will allow your air conditioning to get going and cool down your car, ensuring that you're not sitting in a boiling vehicle.
5. Wear loose-fitting clothing, preferably of a light color. Darker colored clothes will absorb heat more quickly than lighter colors, so it's recommended to keep your wardrobe bright and light. Loose-fitting clothing will also keep you cool, as it allows air to circulate. If you're wearing skin tight jeans, you're probably not going to feel too good in the hot sun.
6. Get your errands done in the morning or at night. The day is hottest between the hours of 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. So if you make your plans for early in the morning or at night, you'll be able to stay cooler and avoid the dangers of being active in the hot sun.
7. Use common sense. If the heat is unbearable, you probably shouldn't go for a run through the park. When the day is too hot, plan indoor activities and try to stay in the air conditioning.
Hopefully these 7 tips to stay safe in the heat have helped you. It's important to be aware of how dangerous extreme heat can be and take the necessary precautions to be safe! If you are driving a vehicle that no longer has air conditioning, or perhaps you're in the market for a new one, stop by our Wixom Area Ford Dealership today and we'll help you out! No matter if it's an Auto Loan or you're looking to purchase a Certified Preowned Car, we've got you covered! Brighton Ford is located at 8240 Grand River Ave. just north of I-96 in Brighton. We are a family owned and operated business that strives for customer satisfaction. For more information on Brighton Ford visit BrightonFord.com or give us a call at (800) 836-8206.
Follow us on:
Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+
Posted by Brighton Ford at 12:02 PM
Labels: Air Conditioning, auto loans, Brighton Ford, Brighton MI, Heat Tips, High Temperatures, Overheated Car, Summer Tips, Tips to Stay Safe in the Heat, Wixom Area Ford Dealership, Wixom Auto Loans
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment